The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Officer that fatally shot a man in northeast Charlotte in September will not face charges, according to the Mecklenburg County District Attorney.
The decision was announced Friday that CMPD officer Guerra will not be charged in connection with the shooting death of Rueben Galindo on September 6. Galindo was shot and killed after he told dispatchers he had a gun with no bullets.
District Attorney Andrew Murray released a 230-page report Friday detailing his findings from an investigation of the incident. Murray said there was an imminent danger to everyone around during the confrontation, and called Galindo mentally unstable.
Murray went on to say that officers were justified in the shooting.
North Carolina first warned school districts across the state in May of 2011 that a specific model of school bus could potentially catch fire.
The NC Department of Instruction Transportation Division released a statement Friday saying the 2011 report warned of potential fires on CAT 3126 Freightliner Thomas Built buses, and ordered inspections and repairs if frayed wiring was discovered.
The statement says despite the 2011 warning, “DPI inspectors have still seen in some bus garages where they have not performed the repair to the valve cover wires…”
The statement says a likely cause of fires is deterioration of plastic ties that hold back wiring harnesses from the heat of the engine manifold.
Newly released numbers from the South Carolina Department of Education show just how widespread technical glitches in the ACT impacted students.
Back in May, students at several school districts experienced technical problems when taking the college readiness exam online.
In Clover, questions took as long as 10 to 15 seconds just to load on students' computers. The South Carolina Department of Education announced 96 percent of school districts using the online test reported similar problems.
State Education Superintendent Molly Spearman blamed those problems for resulting in extremely low readiness rates.
Danica Patrick says she will run in the Daytona 500 and Indianapolis 500 next year and then end her full-time racing career.
Patrick told The Associated Press on Friday it took her months to come to the realization that her career is over. The 35-year-old Patrick says once she accepted that then the idea of capping her run at Indianapolis Motor Speedway popped into her head.
Civil rights leader Rev. Jesse Jackson announced Friday that he has been diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease.
Jackson made the announcement in a letter to supporters that he had been diagnosed with the neurodegenerative disorder that results from loss of cells in various parts of the brain that control movement. The disease also afflicted his father.
“After a battery of tests, my physicians identified the issue as Parkinson’s disease, a disease that bested my father,” Jackson writes.
Jackson was diagnosed with the disease in 2015 and has been undergoing outpatient care, according to a statement from Northwestern Medicine provided by an aide to Jackson.
© 2017 WCNC.COM