Apartment fire displaces 9 in Plaza Midwood

Apartment fire displaces 9 in Plaza Midwood

Apartment fire displaces 9 in Plaza Midwood

Print
Email
|

by NewsChannel 36 Staff

WCNC.com

Posted on September 23, 2012 at 8:04 AM

Updated Sunday, Sep 23 at 10:10 PM

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- At least nine people are homeless after an apartment fire on The Plaza.

Firefighters with the Charlotte Fire Department received a call shortly before 7 a.m. about a fire at The Rivera apartment complex in the 1800 hundred block of The Plaza near uptown.

When they arrived they saw two apartment units showing flames and smoke.  It appears the fire started in a downstairs unit and quickly spread to the upstairs unit.

Neighbors and firefighters managed to get all of the residents out of the apartments, but one woman lost her two cats in the blaze.

Firefighters tell NewsChannel 36 the cause of the fire was accidental due to improperly discarded smoking materials.  The damage is estimated at $80,000.

At least two apartments are completely destroyed and several others are affected by smoke, water and fire control measures.

Volunteers with the American Red Cross are assisting the displaced families.

Print
Email
|