CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- The Ballantyne Hotel might soon be dubbed the White House South.
NewsChannel 36 has learned the White House staff will set up at the hotel during convention week
Uniformed police and what appeared to be plain-clothes agents could be see walking near the grounds Friday afternoon.
Lending more credence to the idea that President Obama himself will be staying there, police announced some major road closures around the hotel for convention week.
"Means I am not coming to Ballantyne," said Christine Montalvo who lives nearby.
Closures from Monday through Friday will include westbound traffic on Ballantyne Commons Parkway and eastbound traffic on Ballantyne Corporate Place.
On Wednesday of convention week, a portion of eastbound Ballantyne Commons Parkway will close at Johnston Road.
Next door to the hotel is the Camden Ballantyne apartment complex where traffic will be rerouted through single gates.
"It's really going to impact me," said Carolyn Loritsch, a Camden Ballantyne resident.
"I work at a school right down the street, so that definitely is going to be an issue, and to bring our son to daycare will be an issue as well," she said.
With some 35,000 visitors expected to come into Charlotte for the convention Charlotte-Douglas International Airport has extended new traffic patterns from the weekend to now include Labor Day Monday.
That means passengers will be picked up and dropped off on the upper level. Government and commercial vehicles will use the lower level.
•Eastbound passenger vehicle thru traffic will be permitted on Ballantyne Commons Parkway
between Johnston Road and North Community House Road all day Monday and Tuesday, except for commercial motor vehicles.
*Definition of commercial delivery vehicle as defined by 49 C.F.R. Part 390.5:
(1) Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating, or gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight, of 4,536 kg (10,001 pounds) or more, whichever is greater; or
(2) Is designed or used to transport more than 8 passengers (including the driver) for compensation; or
(3) Is designed or used to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver, and is not used to transport passengers for compensation; or
(4) Is used in transporting material found by the Secretary of Transportation to be hazardous under 49 U.S.C. 5103 and transported in a quantity requiring placarding under regulations prescribed by the Secretary under 49 CFR, subtitle B, chapter I, subchapter .
• School Buses and CATS buses are excluded from the above restriction.
• Residents and guests only of Camden Ballantyne will be allowed limited vehicular access to/from their community throughout the week via Summit Commons Blvd (East Gate Only) from westbound Ballantyne Commons Parkway. Access from eastbound Ballantyne Commons Parkway is unrestricted until approximately 9:00a.m. on Wednesday, September 5.
• Residents and guests only of Ballantyne Country Club will be allowed limited vehicular access to/from their community throughout the week via Ballantyne Forest Drive accessed from westbound Ballantyne Commons Parkway. Access from eastbound Ballantyne Commons Parkway is unrestricted until approximately 9:00 a.m. on Wednesday, September 5.
• Tenants and guests only of Ballantyne Corporate Park Harris and Premier Buildings, the Aloft Hotel, and Dana Radar Golf School will be allowed limited vehicular access to their respective parking lots from eastbound Ballantyne Corporate Place.
• Tenants and guests only of 13777 Ballantyne Corporate Place (Office Building), 13520 and 13510 Ballantyne Corporate Place (Bank of America Offices), 13515 Ballantyne Corporate Place (SPX Offices), 13320 Ballantyne Corporate Place (Balfour Beatty Construction Site) will be allowed limited vehicular access to their respective parking lots from eastbound Ballantyne Corporate Place.
• Ballantyne Hotel guests, visitors, and employees should access the hotel from Johnston Road beginning at approximately 9:00 a.m. on Monday, September 3, 2012, ending on Friday, September 7 at approximately 12:00 p.m.
Cooperation from motorists is appreciated. Please direct any questions to the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department’s Public Affairs Division at 704-336-2338.