Davidson man suffers severe burns when recalled torch explodes

Credit: http://www.cpsc.gov/

Davidson man suffers severe burns when recalled torch explodes

Print
Email
|

by WCNC.com staff

WCNC.com

Posted on August 9, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Updated Friday, Aug 9 at 7:04 PM

DAVIDSON, N.C. -- After flames erupted from some tabletop torches on sale at Big Lots, the store issued a massive recall for the product.

Note: There are several pictures of Trull's iinjuries, which NBC Charlotte decided are too graphic to show. The other pictures may still be too graphic for some viewers.

A Davidson man is one of some consumers hurt by the torches. Bill Trull, 46, suffered second- and third-degree burns in the explosion last month at this home on Northeast Drive.

Read the recall details here

The Mecklenburg County Fire Marshal’s Office says the candle was defective. Trull’s injuries are partial reason behind the recall.

Trull missed a month of work after the explosion.

“He went out to blow it out and it was like a grenade. It literally exploded,” the victim’s fiancee Stephanie Sturm said.  “To the point where it literally knocked the pictures off the wall in the house.”

Trull had second and third degree burns on his legs, minor burns on his face and elsewhere.
Two people, including Trull, were seriously injured by the torch.

All the fires also caused property damage, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission.

Print
Email
|