FOREST CITY, N.C. -- Some kids will get to use iPads, smartboards and more thanks to Facebook.
The social networking company, which is currently expanding its data center in Forest City, handed out 16 Facebook Grants to non-profits around Rutherford County on Wednesday. One of them, The Learning Tree, received $7,500 to buy new technology.
The daycare is the largest in Rutherford County and several Facebook workers have their children enrolled there.
"We're so grateful," said Darlene Smith, The Learning Tree's director. "It's bringing so much technology to the children and the community, there's no way we could have done it without this grant."
Facebook took applications on its Forest City Data Center Facebook page. A team of Facebook staff members in North Carolina and California judged them. Others receiving grants include:
- Lake Lure Classical Academy
- Forest City Dunbar Elementary School
- Youth Empowerment Inc.
- Sunshine Elementary School
- KidSenses Children's InterACTIVE Museum
- Isothermal Community College
- Town of Forest City
- Rutherford Community Theatre
- Rutherford Regional Health System
- Thomas Jefferson Classical Academy
- Rutherford County Library
- Rutherford Town Revitalization, Inc.
- Robert and Janice McNair Educational Foundation
- Rutherford County Library Society
- Rutherford Life Services/The Learning Tree
- Rutherford Outdoor Coalition