CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- A woman and her daughter are in a new, safe home after contacting Newschannel 36 about her landlord's questionable method of bringing electricity into house.
Shalanda Ashe said her house in the Eastcoast Townhomes had been without power since an electrical fire damaged the unit next door last Tuesday. Ashe claimed her landlord restored power to her unit by running a drop cord cable from another empty apartment located across a parking lot.
"This is dangerous. That drop cord runs outside, and it has been raining. It's the only power we have. No hot water, no air," said Ashe,"what if one of these overloads and catches my house on fire with me and my daughter upstairs?"
The cord supplies power to a refrigerator, box fan and television. Ashe and her daughter have been living in an upstairs room for the past eight days.
Newschannel 36 asked the landlord about the situation. He told reporter Dianne Gallagher Ashe had been instructed to stay in a hotel, though he did not offer to pay for that room, until he could find an empty unit for her. He also said Ashe was three months behind on rent.
Ashe showed Newschannel 36 her paid rent receipts.
According to Ashe, after the landlord discovered she was contacting the media, he offered her a vacant apartment across the street. However, the rent has not been prorated.