13 families homeless after apartment fire

13 families homeless after apartment fire

Print
Email
|

by RYAN WIXTED / WCNC.com

Bio | Email | Follow: @rwix86

WCNC.com

Posted on June 20, 2012 at 5:34 AM

Updated Monday, Nov 4 at 2:55 AM

East Charlotte apartment fire

View larger map

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- A burning candle sparked a fire that displaced 13 families at an apartment complex in the Plaza Midwood neighborhood early Wednesday morning. 

Firefighters were called to the Birchcroft apartment complex off of Central Avenue around 2:45 a.m. 
 
When firefighters arrived on scene there was heavy smoke and fire coming from two of the units. Officials had the whole building evacuated.
 
Fire officials said 13 apartment units were damaged during the fire, but a firewall stopped the flames from spreading to other units in the complex. 

Fire officials said a candle left burning in an upstairs apartment was the cause of the fire. The fire caused $250,000 in damage, according to officials.  
 
A firefighter suffered a minor arm injury while cleaning up after the fire, officials said. 
 
Central Avenue near Briar Creek Road was briefly shut down in both directions but has been reopened.
 
Red Cross is working with the families displaced to provide assistance for food, shelter and clothing. 

Print
Email
|