Former CRVA CEO wins appeal on DWI charge

Former CRVA CEO wins appeal on DWI charge

Tim Newman

Print
Email
|

by WCNC.com Staff

WCNC.com

Posted on May 16, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Updated Thursday, May 16 at 12:07 PM

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- The former chief executive of the Charlotte Regional Visitors Authority won his appeal against his DWI charge stemming from a May 2012 crash in which he's charged with hit-and-run.

Tim Newman was able to get his DWI charge thrown out, but the hit-and-run charge stands.

Newman was charged with DWI and hit-and-run on May 22, 2012, after an accident at Interstate 77 and LaSalle Street.

Troopers said Newman’s blood alcohol level was .14, or nearly double the legal limit, when he ran into the back of a Ford Focus that stopped in traffic.

Newman's job as the former CEO of the Charlotte Regional Visitors Authority paid him $300,000 a year to bring people and events to Charlotte and manage city-owned assets like the Convention Center, NASCAR Hall of Fame and Bojangles’ Coliseum.

A dispute last year over CRVA management with the Charlotte City Council ended his reign.

The council initially refused to give the CRVA its full $10 million funding after an audit revealed the CRVA gave inaccurate attendance figures for the NASCAR Hall of Fame and spent large amounts of money bringing events to Charlotte.

Newman's contract wasn't renewed.  He was given a lesser position and then resigned in February.

Tuesday night, Troopers said Newman knew he hit a Ford Focus and damaged it, but didn't exchange information.

A judge threw out the DWI charge last November. The Mecklenburg County District Attorney's Office appealed that decision, resulting in today's loss.

Print
Email
|