Generous Charlotteans help barbershop reopen after burglary

Generous Charlotteans help barbershop reopen after burglary

Print
Email
|

by TONY BURBECK / NBC Charlotte

Bio | Email | Follow: @TonyWCNC

WCNC.com

Posted on November 1, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Updated Thursday, Nov 1 at 6:41 PM

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- The generosity of strangers is helping a local business get back on its feet after burglars wiped it out.

Thieves stole nearly $3,000 worth of clippers and electronics from Rayzorsharp Barber and Styling back in October, just 10 days after it opened.  The store is on Nations Ford Road.

The burglary left owner Raymond Carver and his employees wondering how they were going to feed their families as well as make the business recover from the crime.

"I literally only had the nickels that were scraping in my pocket,” Carver said last month.

Now, people have donated about $2,000, most of it from strangers who didn’t want to give their names when they gave Carver their money.

The first donation came from a man who is handing over his business to his son.

"He actually sent $300, I appreciated it too,” Carver said.

Then a woman showed up at the barber shop. She didn’t give her name, either.

"She just told me it was a gift from God, a thousand dollars,” said Carver.

He used the money to buy supplies and get back in business.

"These are our tools and this is what we use to make money. We're not able to cut hair with just a comb,” said barber Arthur Truesdale Jr.

"I was able to replace clippers, got the insurance I was lacking, got a security system, I got my door fixed,” Carver said.

The burglars who kicked in the back door still haven’t been caught.

Carver says he spent days asking ’Why me?’

Now, he says it was a lesson that sometimes blessings come when you least expect it and need it the most.

"I feel like I'm back in my element,” Carver said.  "Thank God for favors."

Rayzorsharp Barber and Styling has an official grand opening Saturday starting at noon.
 

Print
Email
|