Couple died of carbon monoxide poisoning at Boone hotel

Couple died of carbon monoxide poisoning at Boone hotel

Print
Email
|

by WCNC.com staff

WCNC.com

Posted on June 10, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Updated Friday, Dec 13 at 8:33 PM

BOONE, N.C. -- An elderly couple who stayed in the same hotel room as a recently deceased 11-year-old was also exposed to carbon monoxide poisoning, according to the Boone Police Department.

In a press conference Monday, police said new toxicology tests confirmed Daryl and Shirley Jenkins died of carbon monoxide poisoning.

The health department said Monday morning carbon monoxide was found in the room where Jeffrey Lee Willis died. Police said his autopsy results now show he died of asphyxiation.

The Jenkins' family lawyer issued a statement after the press conference. Attorney Mark Brumbaugh said the couple was in good health and very active before their deaths. He said they were in Boone looking for distant relatives.

In regards to the hotel, Brumbaugh said:

“It is simply inconceivable that the hotel would choose to rent the same room to others while toxicology results were pending related to the deaths of Daryl and Shirley.  It is our hope that the hotel will fully cooperate with the investigation into these events to avoid any similar tragedies in the future.”

Print
Email
|