CONCORD, NC -- Passenger outrage is growing about Disney’s decision to sail the ships “Fantasy” and “Dream” into a rocky and rough Caribbean during Hurricane Sandy.
Disney told NBC Charlotte their captains and crew members are highly trained and experienced in navigating through inclement weather. The safety of our guests and crew members was never compromised.
Patrick and Christine Weinstein, who were on the Dream, said they should have cancelled it.
The Weinstein’s sailed Thursday, October 25 at 5 p.m. and headed for Nassau, but since our first report last week, NBC Charlotte learned, because of the hurricane, the Bahamas closed their port in Nassau on Wednesday by order of the Prime Minister, the day before the dream sailed.
And, the Ministry of Tourism office in Nassau told NBC Charlotte, it was closed “until further notice.”
Disney did release this updated itinerary the night before the Dream left Port Canaveral, Florida.
“We are currently monitoring Hurricane Sandy very closely as it moves north through the Caribbean towards The Bahamas, and wanted to reach out to guests on the October 25 sailing of the Disney Dream with this very important information. At this time, October 25, Disney Dream sailing will depart Port Canaveral as scheduled. However, given the predicted path of the storm, we realize that the ship's itinerary will need to be altered as the storm passes through The Bahamas. Unfortunately, the storm is expected to produce tropical storm and hurricane force winds near Nassau and our private island, Disney's Castaway Cay for most of the day on Friday and early on Saturday."
Therefore the revised itinerary will be as follows:
Thursday, October 25
Port Canaveral, Florida
Friday, October 26
Day at Sea
Saturday, October 27
Nassau (pending weather conditions)
Sunday, October 28
Port Canaveral, Florida
The safety and security of our Guests is always our top priority. If necessary, our Captains are always prepared to alter the ships' courses or itineraries to navigate away from inclement weather.
Should you have any questions related to this change, please feel free to contact us at 1-800-939-2784.
We are confident this revised itinerary will provide for a safe and entertaining vacation that only Disney can provide and look forward to welcoming you aboard soon.”
NBC Charlotte emailed Disney Cruise lines asking -- given this forecast and that fact that Disney knew the port was closed -- why go at all?
We understand that your cruise line felt it was “safe” to go, but how enjoyable could it have been?
Why not cancel and refund the money knowing the forecast?
The response we got back from a Disney Media Representative was “I've shared everything I have.”
Disney is offering the sea-sick and grumpy passengers a 25 percent discount on a future cruise or stay at a resort property, but nothing back on this cruise.
Was this good customer service?
“No it was not, I will tell you,” said an angry and disappointed Christine who wants a full refund.
As for Disney’s make good offer of 25 percent off a future cruise?
Well, there isn’t anything magical about it. NBC Charlotte checked today and, that offer is open to anyone in Canada as a promotional deal right now.
You can see the video story at facebook.com/BillMcGintyWcncCharlotte and follow me on twitter for updates @billwcnc