CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- North Carolina food banks will receive $750,000 in state funds in an attempt to avoid depleting the supply.
Governor Pat McCrory released the funds Monday, saying the money will help the seven regional banks respond to an extra demand created, in part, by the government shutdown.
This is in addition to $2 million worth of grants Attorney General Roy Cooper’s office will offer. Cooper says this money comes from food and pharmaceutical consumer settlements.
Gov. McCory also said in a press conference that he urges members of Congress to remember who they work. He made a direct appeal urging the federal government to end the now 14-day shutdown.
A lack of federal funding stopped the WIC program for two days last week in the midst of the shutdown. State officials then said they have enough money to restore the program through the end of October.
The governor’s office added other programs are in danger of suspension if government funding is not soon reinstated.
Approximately 170,200 different people in North Carolina receive emergency food assistance in any given week, according to the governor. The director of the Second Harvest Food Banks says the need now is as bad or worse as at the height of the recession.