Streetcar constructions begins at month’s end

Streetcar constructions begins at month’s end

Print
Email
|

by BEN THOMPSON / NBC Charlotte

Bio | Follow: @BenTNews | Email

WCNC.com

Posted on February 12, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Updated Tuesday, Feb 12 at 7:01 PM

CHARLOTTE, N.C. – On Tuesday, city officials told NBC Charlotte major construction for the Streetcar Starter Project will begin at the end of February, weather permitting. 

Construction crews will start demolishing sidewalks and curbs along Trade Street nearest to Kings Drive, then move towards the Time Warner Cable Arena, where starter line will end.

“Any work around the arena area will not begin until after the CIAA tournament,” said Michelle Gutt with the City Manager’s office.

The tournament runs from February 26 – March 2 and usually brings thousands to the arena during that week.  Road closures are expected during the construction, but at this point officials aren’t sure when and where they’ll occur.

The Streetcar Starter Project construction comes more than two months after an official groundbreaking ceremony featuring gold-plated shovels and dignitaries, including U.S. Secretary of Transportation Ray LaHood. 

For weeks, NBC Charlotte inquired about the status of construction, but couldn’t get any solid answers from city officials.   Aside from a few trees being cut down and orange markings on the sidewalk, few obvious signs of work were apparent since the groundbreaking.

“I think they owe you answers.  I think they owe me answers,” said City Councilman Andy Dulin on Monday after he explained he wasn’t sure where construction on project stood. 

Since then, city officials released a memo outlining a construction update. 

“The work to date is on schedule,” said Gutt.

The Streetcar Starter Project is scheduled for completion in 2015.
 

Print
Email
|