CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- A construction employee electrocuted Monday afternoon died as a result of his injuries.
Crews responded to the scene in the 9200 block of Sandburg Avenue around 2 p.m.
Firefighters arrived to find the employee, 31-year-old Jershon M. Villatoro Barahona, in a crane bucket. He appeared lifeless as crews attempted to reach his body.
He was declared dead just before 3 p.m.
Police say his self-powered crane hit a power line carrying 12,000 volts. Medics tried to revive the man but say it was hopeless.
Several firefighters responded, along with paramedics. Duke Energy also assisted to make sure power lines were secure.
Barahona was an employee of Manuel Building Contractors LLC, a national company.