CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- The fiancé of a man gunned down by Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Officer Randal Kerrick wants police to release video of the incident.
Cache' Heidel held a news conference Tuesday morning and told reporters that the video would show that Jonathan Ferrell was not a threat when he was shot.
Police allowed her and the rest of Ferrell's family to look at the video. She says Chief Rodney Monroe agreed to hand over the tape.
"It makes me a little skeptical whether or not they are going to be honorable, so my skepticism is up," she said.
Her attorney Christopher Chestnut says they have asked police for the tape more than five times.
"If you're going to keep the file sealed, keep the entire file sealed, but you can't release the 911 tape and not release the dash cam, you can't release audio and don't show the video -- especially when video shows something inconsistent with the 911 tape," said the attorney.
That 911 call was from a frantic homeowner who mistook Ferrell for a burglar. The former Florida A&M football player had been in an accident on Reedy Creek Road and was looking for help.
Police say that he ran toward Kerrick and the officer fired 12 shots, striking him 10 times. The officer has been arrested and charged with voluntary manslaughter in the case.
"Kerrick did have an unconscious bias that he was unaware of, but it came into play that night. He just reacted so quickly on fear, instead of doing what he was supposed to do as an officer," said Heidel.
Chestnut says on the tape, you can hear an officer give a command, but it was so quick the victim didn't have a chance to respond.
"There were commands in such close position to the shots that no reasonable human could have reacted," he said.
Late Tuesday afternoon a spokesman for the department said the tape would have to come from the Attorney General, who is now in charge of the case.