Kitchen fire does $20K in damage to Gastonia home

GASTONIA, N.C. -- A fire that began in the kitchen spread to the top floor of a home in Gaston County on Sunday, causing about $20,000 in damage.

The Gastonia Fire Department was dispatched to the 1700 block of Smith Avenue Sunday afternoon around 3:45. When crews arrived on the scene, heavy smoke billowed from the roof of the two-story home.

The fire, which began due to food cooking in the kitchen, had spread to the top floor and attic.

Twenty firefighters fought the blaze for about 20 minutes before bringing it under control.

The home sustained about $20,000 in damage, officials say.

No injuries were reported.

The Red Cross is assisting the displaced occupants.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment