CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Steps taken in North Carolina's recovery following Hurricane Matthew are followed by more flooding and devastation.
In a press conference Thursday morning, Governor McCrory announced multiple steps taken in hurricane recovery. The governor said the federal government has dispersed $2.6 million to disaster survivors and released $5 million for highway repairs.
The governor also listed his top three priorities in recovery efforts as stabilization of Robeson County, response to new flooding and continued recovery relief operations for those counties in which storm damage has been examined.
The North Carolina disaster relief fund has been activated for Hurricane Matthew to support long-term recovery efforts. Nearly 3,400 people remain in 43 shelters across the state causing continued closure of schools.
"Sadly, the poorest of the poor in North Carolina are the ones who are being hurt the most by these floods," McCrory said.
While the Tarheel state has begun to address its wounds from the hurricane, more flooding is expected.
Peak flooding levels are forecasted within the next 24 hours in Edgecombe, Pitt, Bladen, Wayne and Lenoir counties. Rivers such as Tar River and Neuse River are also expected to peak.
I-95 remains closed from Lumberton to Fayetteville due to high waters. "There's no place for water to go," McCrory said in reference to Lumberton. The governor encouraged residents to not rely on their GPS, instead check ReadyNC.org for latest road updates.
An ongoing evacuation remains in the Woodlake Dam area. Governor McCrory previously told residents to "get out, get out now."
There have been no new storm-related fatalities reported in the state.
Those wanting to donate and help North Carolina recover can visit NCRelief.org or text "NCRecovers" to 30306.
Copyright 2016 WCNC