One year anniversary of violent Labor Day weekend

Labor Day weekend marks the one year anniversary since one of the most violent weekends in Charlotte's history.

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Labor Day weekend marks the one year anniversary of what police describe as one of the most violent weekends in Charlotte's history after five people were shot and killed. 

In total, 12 people were shot. Family and friends are still heartbroken, one year later. 

"They didn't just destroy my brother's life, they destroyed a lot of lives," said Tammy Leggette. "And mine was one of them."

Leggette says her brother, 42-year-old Anthony Barbour, was gunned down that same week last year on September 10th. She says it hasn't gotten any easier to cope with.

"He won't be my brother that was sick and died," Leggette said. "He will forever be my brother that was murdered, that someone took from me."

7-year-old Kevin Rodas was the youngest victim. He was shot while attending a birthday party. Only one arrest has been made in any of the incidents, leaving many like Leggette still waiting for justice.

"What are the streets saying?" Leggette asked. "The streets are talking and saying a lot of things, but the streets aren't saying anything to the police."

There are two vigils Monday night for Rodas. The first is at 5:00pm at Evergreen Cemetery and the second vigil starts at 7:30pm  at Camp Greene Park.

Copyright 2016 WCNC


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment