CHARLOTTE, N.C. – A University City family was able to escape safely after a cigarette starting a massive fire overnight, officials said.
According to Charlotte Fire, emergency crews responded to a fire on Shorthorn Street around 12:30 a.m. Friday.
Officials said three people, including a child, were in the home when the fire started. Firefighters said the fire was feeding off of a gas line inside the home, causing an estimated $200,000 in damage. Fire officials said the home is considered a total loss.
Update Structure Fire; 2010 Shorthorn St; fire was caused by discarded cigarette; 3 persons displaced; dama pic.twitter.com/TocVADqiM9— Charlotte Fire Dept (@CharlotteFD) June 30, 2017
One firefighter was treated for minor injuries at the scene, according to Charlotte Fire officials.
© 2017 WCNC.COM