Fire that destroyed Univ. City home started by cigarette, officials say

Officials are working to determine the cause of a fire that destroyed a home in northeast Charlotte early Friday.

CHARLOTTE, N.C. – A University City family was able to escape safely after a cigarette starting a massive fire overnight, officials said. 

According to Charlotte Fire, emergency crews responded to a fire on Shorthorn Street around 12:30 a.m. Friday.

Officials said three people, including a child, were in the home when the fire started. Firefighters said the fire was feeding off of a gas line inside the home, causing an estimated $200,000 in damage. Fire officials said the home is considered a total loss. 

One firefighter was treated for minor injuries at the scene, according to Charlotte Fire officials. 

© 2017 WCNC.COM


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment