SALISBURY, N.C. -- A 2-year-old boy was killed and three people injured in an early Thursday morning house fire in Salisbury.
Firefighters were called to a home off of Davis Street around 1 a.m. after a reported fire.
(Click here for photos of the boy, and from the scene of the fire)
Fire officials confirmed that 2-year-old Logan Parker was killed during the fire. Authorities say the boy was trapped in a bedroom in the back of the house.
Officials said a teenage girl in the home cut her arm breaking out a window. A police officer and a man were treated at the scene for smoke inhalation.
The boy's name has not been released. Neighbors say a woman, her father and three children lived in the home.
Authorities said the cause of the fire was from an electrical malfunction of a box fan in the Logan's bedroom window.
"Normally I would have the AC on, but I thought it was too soon," says Logan's grandfather, Michael Linkin Sr.
His daughter had gone out to the shed last night to cool off the room. She placed the twin bladed accordion-style fan near the window and went to bed.
Sally Elkins, says Logan's 5-year-old brother woke her up, to say he saw an orange glow beneath the bedroom door.
"He said, ‘Ms. Sally, fire,’ I looked past him and I saw black billows," she said.
Further testing will determine if a spark from the fan ignited the fire.
The family says the flames moved quickly. Logan's mother told family members she had tried to look for Logan, but disoriented herself by the smoke she was unable to. She held out hope that he and his two siblings made it out of the house safely.
"I did what I could but I was hysterical I couldn't get to him," says Linkin.
Many tried calling him, but there was no answer. A Salisbury police officer eventually plucked the boy from his bed, but he was unresponsive.
Family described him as a lovable, easy-going child, who loved to ride around the backyard in his toy jeep.
"He was an awesome little boy," said Krystal Jenson. "He loved animals, just terrific and happy as can be."
The house has since been boarded up. The American Red Cross is assisting the family with temporary shelter.
They are asking for help in rebuilding.
The public can drop off donations at:
1812 E. Innes St. Salisbury, NC