CHARLOTTE, N.C. – Investigators say a faulty electrical cord is to blame for sparking a house fire killed a family’s three dogs and two cats Tuesday night in Charlotte. The Mecklenburg County Fire Marshal’s Office says the cord was attached to a space heater that the family placed in the home’s crawl space to keep pipes from bursting.
Firefighters were called out to a house fire on Maitland Lane Tuesday night. When they arrived, they found the house fully engulfed in flames.
The family was not home when the fire started. Neighbors told NBC Charlotte the family was attending the Georgia Tech v. Duke basketball game in Durham.
Neighbors called 911 and attempted to save the pets.
“I was able to kick the door, able to get the door to open, and was immediately hit by a wave of smoke and heat, and knocked me back. I called for the animals, repeatedly. And there were no sounds, no indication of anything going on inside,” said Chris Leach.
Firefighters were not able to rescue the three dogs and two cats.