Free things to do around Charlotte this Memorial Day weekend
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 9:52 AM
Friday, May 24 at 9:58 AM
Fire up those grills this weekend for Memorial Day. Also check out some of these special Memorial Day events going on in the Charlotte area. All are free or really cheap. Read about even more free events, including a cultural arts festival in Kannapolis, free outdoor movies, NASCAR fan events and a whole bunch of free live music, on Charlotte on the Cheap’s Free Event List. Make sure to follow each of the below links to get important details on the deal or event.
- Live music at USNWC: Sunday, 9am until after dark. The U.S. National Whitewater Center’s Memorial Day Celebration kicks off with trail races at 9am, and there is a charge for participating. However, live music by Jesse Dee, Bonerama and Marc Broussard starts at 4pm and it’s free. Fireworks follow.
- Cheap Slurpees: Friday through Monday. Medium Slurpees are just 49 cents at 7-Eleven all weekend.
- Extra half off daily deals: Half Off Depot always offers 50% off restaurant, beauty, services and many other deals. Memorial Day Weekend get an extra 50% off.
- Democracy Day: 10am to 4pm Saturday. The Levine Museum of the New South is free Saturday and there will be many special activities, like performances from community groups, artists talks, sessions on military history, exhibits, family crafts and airbrush tattoos.
- Carowinds Military Days: Sunday and Monday. Active, inactive or retired United States Service men and women with a valid military I.D. can get into Carowinds for free.
- Blue Star Museums Initiative: Starts Monday. From Memorial Day until Labor Day, active military can visit many museums across the country for free. They can bring up to five family members. Here in Charlotte, Mint Museum, Discovery Place, Bechtler Museum of the Modern Art, Levine Museum of the New South and Johnson C. Smith University are participating.
- Waxhaw Memorial Day observance: Monday, noon. Honor local veterans at Waxhaw’s Memorial Day ceremony at the Military Wall of Honor in downtown Waxhaw.
- Kids’ craft: Saturday, 11am. Kids can create a “Dazzling Memorial Day Centerpiece” at Lakeshore Learning.
- Half price meals: Get half price family meals at Boston Market in Memorial Day, Monday, May 27th. You’ll need a coupon, which you’ll find at this link.
- Free burger: Shoney’s is offering active duty military personnel, and veterans, a free All-American Burger on Memorial Day, Monday, May 27th, 2013.
- Free wings: Military veterans and active duty military can enjoy 10 free wings with any drink purchase at Hooters
Neighborhood News Video