ROCK HILL, S.C. -- The Rock Hill Fire Department says an attempt to dismantle a propane tank prompted a large explosion and subsequent house fire that killed one and left one seriously burned.
Thursday, at a home in the 1100 block of Hoyle Street, fire crews found the body of 98-year-old Fred Cathcart.
Authorities believe Cathcart was working to dismantle a 25-pound propane cylinder inside the home, which he believed to be empty, for scrap metal.
When the cylinder head was removed from the propane tank officials say a large pressure release caused the cylinder to explode.
Alice Crockett, 53, was flown to a burn unit in Winston-Salem for treatment.
Family members identified the man who was killed as 98-year-old Fred Cathcart.
The woman who was badly burned has been identified as 53-year-old Alice Crockett. She was flown for treatment to the burn unit in Winston-Salem.