Man admits he killed Flying Biscuit co-worker, report states

Man admits he killed Flying Biscuit co-worker, report states


by NewsChannel 36 Staff

Posted on January 23, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Updated Monday, Jan 23 at 7:22 PM

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- New details emerged Monday in the murder of a Flying Biscuit Cafe employee earlier this month in Ballantyne including an alleged confession.

Mark Anthony Cox, 22, is accused of murdering 25-year-old Danielle Watson on January 13 at the restaurant off of Rea Road at the StoneCrest Shopping Center.

In the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department search warrant of Cox's apartment released Monday, the bloody details in the minutes and hours after the murder are recounted.

According to the search warrant, Cox confessed to his sister that he murdered Watson the night of the incident. 

Cox is charged with two counts of murder for allegedly killing Watson, who was two months pregnant.

The apartment police searched is less than one mile from the restaurant, and Cox lived there with his sister, mother and another man, according to the search warrant.

Cox told his sister he stabbed Watson multiple times during an argument inside the cafe, according to the search warrant.

“Cox continued to confess to (his sister) that after Cox killed his manager, he dumped her body in a dumpster," the warrant states.

Police searched Cox's apartment on January 14. Investigators say they saw “a blood trail leading to the residence as well as blood on the front door.”  Police also were "able to observe a large amount of apparent blood on the kitchen counter, as well as throughout the residence.”

A large butcher knife was on the kitchen counter in a mug filled with an unknown liquid, according to the warrant.

Cox's sister also told police Cox's work uniform was in a plastic trash bag and was soaked in blood.

The sister also told police Cox told her he “had taken the victim’s vehicle and was planning on dumping the bloody clothes and vehicle in a river.”

Cox was arrested last Monday at a friend's house in the northern outskirts of Fayetteville.  Watson's 1997 Chevrolet Cavalier was found at a nearby apartment complex and has since been returned to Charlotte.

According to the warrant, Cox went to a co-worker's residence at 11 p.m. the night of the murder and had an unknown amount of money.

Detectives seized clothing with suspected blood, paper work, photographs, shoes, swabs and towels and believe Cox took Watson's phone, clothes and jewelry during the incident.
Watson was planning to marry her fiancé, Keith Smith, several days before her murder.  She was laid to rest on Saturday morning after a funeral in Gastonia.

Smith called 911 the night of the incident, telling a dispatcher he believed the restaurant was being robbed. 

Officers found Watson’s body behind a dumpster early Saturday morning.  An employee who was opening the restaurant told police there was blood scattered on the floors and a safe was open.