GASTONIA, N.C. -- A home in Gastonia was destroyed Monday afternoon when a propane tank leaked gas before catching fire just seconds after the homeowner escaped.
Emergency crews were called to the home in the 2800 block of Fair Oaks Drive around 1:50 p.m.
The homeowner, a 69-year-old man, told fire crews he smelled fumes from the propane tank and got out of the home right before a massive fire started. The man kept a 100-pound propane cylinder in his home for heating purposes, according to fire crews.
Firefighters were seen standing around about five other propane tanks that did not catch fire near the rear of the home.
The man was not seriously injured but was taken to a nearby hospital for observeration, officials said.
"The firefighters managed to contain the fire and keep cool a 325-gallon propane tank next to the outside of the house," said the Gastonia Fire Department in a statement.
The small house was a total loss.