RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) -- One of the North Carolina Senate's top budget writers has decided he won't be running for re-election after all this year.
Sen. Neal Hunt of Raleigh had filed for re-election earlier this month but said he withdrew his candidacy papers Monday morning. Hunt says he had been looking for someone to run for his seat and recently found first-term state Rep. Jim Fulghum. Fulghum also switched his candidacy Monday from House to Senate.
Hunt is 71 years old and says it's time to step aside after 20 years in government, including time on the Raleigh City Council. He's spent his fourth and fifth terms as co-chairman of the Senate Appropriations Committee.
Another budget co-chair -- Pete Brunstetter -- resigned from the Senate in December to become a hospital executive.