RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) -- Gov. Beverly Perdue says she's moving $1 million to prevent about 1,400 mentally ill residents of North Carolina group homes from becoming homeless because of funding cuts expected after this month.
Perdue on Tuesday cited her authority to change the state budget according to unforeseen circumstances in moving money to keep group home residents in place through the end of January. The Democratic governor says the Republican-led General Assembly and incoming Gov. Pat McCrory can then figure out a longer-term fix.
Spokesmen for state Senate leader Phil Berger and House Speaker Thom Tillis didn't immediately respond to requests for comment.
A top legislative health and human services budget-writer last month suggested Perdue should shift money within the budget to pay for the group home residents to stay.