McCrory defends stance on HB2 during Charlotte visit

Governor McCrory is on the defense when addressing the latest fall out of House Bill 2 after the ACC and NCAA announced they will be pulling games from North Carolina.

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Governor McCrory was in Charlotte Thursday speaking to business leaders at the Hood Hargett Breakfast Club and wasted no time addressing the state’s latest fallout in regard to House Bill 2.

“If you're expecting a politically correct speech or you want a politically correct speech you might need to walk out right now,” said Gov. McCrory.

McCrory continued to defend his stance on HB2 and pointed the blame on Charlotte’s mayor for the recent decision made by the NCAA and the ACC to pull Championship games from North Carolina.

“We had the NCAA Championship games during all this time and no one worried about this. It was only until your mayor and city council created a solution to a problem that didn’t exist,” said Gov. McCrory.

RELATED: ACC pulls championships from North Carolina over HB2

He was referring to the non-discrimination ordinance Charlotte city council passed earlier this year, giving protections to members of the LGBT community — an ordinance Gov. McCrory and state leaders overturned by passing House Bill 2.

“For our schools, for our highway rest stops, for our parks, for our universities I believe we ought to do it the way we always did it,” said McCrory.

But to do it the way, "it’s always been done" is costing the state millions. The Charlotte Chamber has estimated HB2’s economic impact at $285 million in addition to a loss of more than 1,300 Charlotte Area jobs. Raleigh is estimating $40 million dollars in losses.

Lionsgate has pulled filming from the state, concerts and theater productions such has Wicked have canceled, and for the first time since 1985, North Carolina will not host a postseason college basketball tournament after the NCAA decided to pull multiple championship games from the state. The ACC followed suit, announcing the ACC Championship football game will be moved out of Charlotte, a loss estimated at $32 million.

“They met behind closed doors. One group, the NCAA met without our even knowledge, did not even call us about boycotting the state of North Carolina,” says Gov. McCrory.

In statements released by both the ACC and the NCAA, the organizations cite that HB2 goes against their values of inclusion and non-discrimination. Thursday, even Hillary Clinton spoke out saying “look at what's happening with the NCAA and ACC, this is where bigotry leads and we can't afford it here or anywhere else in America.”

But despite the losses, Governor McCrory says he won’t be backing down until the supreme court rules, giving a clear definition of one’s gender – whether it’s what you were born as, or how you identify.

RELATED: Clinton blasts McCrory, Trump, HB2 during Charlotte visit

“Now that is a pretty bring change in society norms, which I thought deserved to be challenged and its going to be resolved in the supreme court,” said McCrory.

The ruling is expected to happen early next year and Gov. McCrory says no matter they rule, he’ll respect it.

“I will respect what the court does as I’ve always done because I’ve sworn to uphold the constitution of not only North Carolina but the United States of America,” said Gov. McCrory.

Copyright 2016 WCNC


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment