ELKIN, N.C. (AP) -- Two children have died at a home in Elkin from carbon monoxide and officials are blaming a generator.
Surry County emergency medical services director John Shelton says a friend went to a home early Wednesday to help a family move into their new home and found a woman unresponsive in a hallway.
Emergency responders took the 39-year-old woman to a local hospital for treatment. She was later transferred to the Duke University Hospital in Durham.
A 7-year-old boy and an 8-year-old girl were found dead in one of the bedrooms. Shelton says the children appeared to have been dead for several hours.
Shelton says a generator was found in the kitchen and was being used to power a refrigerator.
The victims' names have not been released.