Columbia firefighter causes fire at own station

Columbia firefighter causes fire at own station

Columbia firefighter causes fire at own station

Print
Email
|

by Associated Press

WCNC.com

Posted on June 18, 2013 at 3:23 PM

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) -- A Columbia firefighter rushing to a call during a thunderstorm left a pot of grease on a stove that caused a blaze in the kitchen of a fire station.
 

Fire Chief Aubrey Jenkins said sprinklers helped contain the blaze Monday evening before firefighters could get back to the station, but the fire still caused $20,000 in damage.
 
Jenkins says the fire station was empty when the grease caught fire because all the firefighters were responding to several call during a thunderstorm.
 
The fire chief says he knows some people might laugh at a firefighter causing a fire. But Jenkins says it shows fires can happen anywhere and no one is immune from a careless mistake that might spark a blaze.

Print
Email
|