Fire that killed Piedmont couple ruled accidental

Print
Email
|

by Associated Press

WCNC.com

Posted on November 2, 2012 at 9:39 AM

PIEDMONT, S.C. (AP) -- The fire that killed a couple inside their Piedmont home has been ruled an accident. 

Greenville County Deputy Coroner Tony Segars says 69-year-old Bruce Machen and 70-year-old Doris Machen died from smoke inhalation. 

Fire crews were called to the home at around 12:15 a.m. Thursday. South Greenville Fire Chief Ken Taylor says flames were shooting more than 20 feet in the air when firefighters arrived.  

Taylor says the Machens were found upstairs. Authorities think the fire started on the second floor, and an investigation is continuing. 

The couple's pastor, the Rev. Tony Boyce, says Doris Machen had been caring for her husband, who was recovering from a heart attack and was on dialysis.
 

Print
Email
|