Man's family sues SC police over fatal shooting

Print
Email
|

by Associated Press

WCNC.com

Posted on October 2, 2012 at 10:45 AM

EUTAWVILLE, S.C. (AP) -- Relatives of a Eutawville man shot and killed by a police officer last year have sued the town, its police department and former chief.
 
Attorney Carl B. Grant says he filed a wrongful death lawsuit this week on behalf of the widow of Bernard Bailey.
 
State police began investigating in May 2011 after the 54-year-old Bailey died from gunshot wounds. Eutawville has a one-person police department, and town officials said Chief Robert Combs was placed on leave after the shooting outside its Town Hall.
 
Mayor Jean Akers said she was served with the lawsuit Monday but did not immediately comment on it.

Federal authorities are now investigating the shooting, and few details have been released. Combs has not been charged in the shooting but has been replaced as chief.

Print
Email
|