SC man pleads no contest in hit and run death

Print
Email
|

by Associated Press

WCNC.com

Posted on April 24, 2013 at 10:27 AM

SPARTANBURG, S.C. (AP) -- A Spartanburg man has pleaded no contest for a hit and run death last year.
 
Forty-four-year-old Gary Jeter Sr. entered the plea on Tuesday just as he was about to go on trial.
 
Thirty-one-year-old Shannon Cross was struck early in the morning on June 16 after he jumped from a malfunctioning car.
 
Circuit Judge Derham Cole sentenced Jeter to one year I prison, three years of probation and a $10,000 fine.
 
The sentence came after the victim's mother asked for mercy for Jeter.
 
Defense attorney Roger Poole says Jeter became confused while trying to change lanes. Poole says Jeter contacted authorities the next day and has cooperated with them.
 
Jeter apologized in court to the Cross family.  

Print
Email
|