CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- The McCrorey Family YMCA branch is the second oldest branch in Charlotte. It was established in 1936 as the Second Street YMCA.
The McCrorey Y moved from that location in the late 1960s during the urban renewal of the Brooklyn neighborhood.
The old Y building survived the demolition, and is now used by the United Way. The branch was named after a former president of Johnson C. Smith University, Henry L. McCrorey.
There’s a lot of history associated with the McCrorey Y.
On Larry’s Look this morning the Executive Director, Karen Gibson, talked about the role that the Y has in our community and some of the special things that have happened in the past 36 years.
She also gave Larry a tour of the facility with a chance to meet some of the regulars there. He even joined some of the senior ladies for the “YMCA “ dance!
For more about the Y, go to their website here.