CONCORD, N.C. – Northwest Cabarrus High School senior Bradley Pinion is one of the best kicker/punters in America for his age. Popular recruiting website Rivals.com lists Pinion, a Clemson Tigers recruit, as the third best kicker in the nation. But as NewsChannel 36 quickly found out, there’s more to Pinion (6’6, 220) than just football.
1. How hard was it to have sit back and watch games this past Friday knowing you weren't playing?
Pinion: It wasn't too hard to sit back this past Friday. I actually think it made the team more pumped up because we watched the other teams and it just made us want to get out there and win some games!
2. What were the best and the worst parts of the entire recruiting process?
Pinion: The best part of the recruiting process was making new friends and traveling to all the campuses. It was neat to compare each to the other and grow relationships with various coaches. The worst part had to be the long nights trying to call and talk to all of them on the phone, since they can’t call you back, I just kept calling and calling till I got hold of them.
3. Out of the thousands upon thousands of kicks and punts over your lifetime in games, the backyard--anywhere--which one is the most memorable and why?
Pinion: Most people think my most memorable kick should be my 100 yard kickoff, but that is not the one that just nags at me! The one that is just always in my head is a two-yard kickoff that I slipped and hit against Concord my junior year. My mom and dad both went to Concord so I really wanted to show out but ended up kicking the worst kick of my life!
4. What is one thing people probably don't know about you?
Pinion: One thing people probably don't know about me is that I have a genius for a brother. He goes to the University of South Carolina but I won’t hold that against him. He double majors in chemistry and physics and manages above a 3.9 GPA. Plus, he has discovered something in physics that is getting published.
5. Football or non-football, what is the biggest single improvement you want to make?
Pinion: On and off the field, I want to improve my relationship with God. He is the one that gave me my talent and I want to use my talent to spread his word and praise him. Improving my relationship with God will improve my whole life.