Hickory High School forfeits football wins over player

Print
Email
|

by Associated Press

WCNC.com

Posted on February 9, 2012 at 12:29 PM

HICKORY, N.C. -- The Hickory High School varsity football team has seen last year's winning season converted to a record of 0-13 after forfeiting all its wins and a tie for using an ineligible player.

The Hickory Daily Record reported that the Red Tornadoes' record stood at 8-4-1 until a review of the player's eligibility by the North Carolina High School Athletic Association.

Deputy Commissioner Que Tucker said the review was prompted by multiple anonymous emails from someone claiming that teams in the region were using ineligible players.

The student, whose name was not released, was ineligible to play because he wasn't living with a parent or court-ordered guardian.

Hickory Schools Superintendent Walter Hart said the situation resulted from a misunderstanding of eligibility guidelines, not a deliberate attempt to circumvent the rules.
 

Print
Email
|