NC football player died from pain meds overdose

Print
Email
|

by Associated Press

WCNC.com

Posted on September 14, 2011 at 10:12 AM

BURLINGTON, N.C. (AP) -- Family members say a North Carolina high school quarterback died after a big victory last month after accidentally overdosing on some of his grandmother's pain medication.

The family of Burlington Williams quarterback Harry Cohen says the boy apparently took methadone the day after leading the football team to a 27-17 victory over Southern Alamance High School.

Stepfather Richard Kaffenberger said the boy's 150-pound frame and low body fat meant the pain-fighting methadone he ingested had nowhere to go but his organs.

The Times-News of Burlington reports that Cohen's death certificate lists his cause of death as cardiopulmonary arrest because his heart stopped beating. The secondary cause is listed as methadone poisoning resulting from an accident.
 

Print
Email
|