EAST LANSING, MI -- A current Charlotte Hornets player was arrested early Thursday morning in Michigan on the charge of domestic assault.
Jeffery Matthew Taylor, 25, was arrested at the East Lansing Marriott at University Place around 1 a.m. Thursday.
Friday evening, the Charlotte Hornets announced Taylor would not be participating in any team-related activities until the NBA has concluded it's investigation.
Their statement read:
"We have informed Jeffery Taylor that effective immediately he will not be participating in any team-related activities while the NBA is investigating his conduct in this matter. As an organization, we understand and appreciate the seriousness of this matter, and will assist the NBA and law enforcement in any way we can until this comes to an acceptable resolution. We have spoken with Jeffery and his representatives and they fully understand our position."
A pre-trial court date on domestic assault charges set for October 8 at East Lansing District Court in Michigan.
Ingham County prosecutor Stuart Dunnings announced the date Friday.
A jury selection for the case is set for October 14, Dunnings said, adding that Taylor also has the option for a bench trial, rather than a jury trial.
The prosecutor said the police report will not be released while the incident is under investigation.
Taylor's pre-trial court date is scheduled on the same night the Hornets open the preseason in Philadelphia against the 76ers.
NBC Charlotte received the court documents from the incident, which indicated Taylor got into an altercation with a woman who he is dating.
The documents also stated destruction of a property/building that was more $200 in damages.
Taylor is charged with one count of domestic assault, assault and malicious destruction of property.
His bond was set at $5000.
The Hornets released a short statement Thursday night:
"The Charlotte Hornets were made aware of the incident involving Jeffery Taylor early this evening. The organization is in the process of gathering more information and doing our due diligence. This is a matter that we take very seriously."
The forward was out most of last year after hurting his Achilles' tendon.
This is the second local player in the spotlight for domestic violence charges. Panther Greg Hardy is awaiting a jury trial.
Unlike the NFL where domestic violence fell under the personal conduct rules, the NBA was ahead of the curve and has specific policies that were collectively bargained when it comes to violent misconduct and domestic violence.
The agreement calls for a minimum 10-game suspension and mandatory counseling for a conviction on a first offense. This is the minimum but the league can also up the ante and impose tougher penalties if officials see fit.
This past Monday, NBA commissioner Adam Silver said he will take a fresh look at these policies after what's happened in the NFL. Just last season, Minnesota Timberwolves forward Dante Cunningham was charged with assault and continued to play while his case was ongoing. Fans reacted negatively when he was on the court, and eventually the charges against him were dropped.
"Safe to say this isn't what they want just days before they open training camp and breakout the new nickname," NBC Charlotte Sports Director Chris Clark said.