LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

MATTHEWS, N.C. The Wendy s on East Independence Boulevard caught fire Saturday night.

The call came in around 8 p.m. that the building was consumed in flames.

Medic tells NewsChannel 36 that no one was hurt in the fire. The incident caused Independence Boulevard to shut down at the intersection of Matthews Mint Hill Road. The road reopened around 11 p.m.

According to a town spokeswoman, the cause of the fire was an exhaust fan at the top rear of the building.

NewsChannel 36 viewers Harry and Pattie Christopher sent in the attached pictures from the scene.

Read or Share this story: http://www.wcnc.com/story/news/local/2014/06/27/10587706/