LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

LINCOLNTON, N.C. Two dogs were found dead last week at Lincoln County Animal Services, and the employee responsible for the incident has been fired.

The dogs were found around 12:15 p.m. on August 22 at 650 John Howell Memorial Drive.

The Lincoln County Sheriff s Office and a veterinarian investigated the incident and concluded the dogs had signs of being suffocated and suffered from heatstroke.

The dogs had been tied up in the outside, fenced-in, grassy holding area during the regularly scheduled cleaning activities of their inside, temperature controlled enclosures, said Lincoln County EMS in a statement Tuesday.

But animal services does not think a person choked the dogs.

It was determined that the dogs became hyperactive/excited due to the other dogs in the yard and they choked themselves by pulling on the leashes that were attached to the fence.

The name of the fired employee who was responsible for the care of the dogs in this incident has not been released.

Read or Share this story: http://www.wcnc.com/story/news/local/2014/06/27/10579024/