LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

NEBO, N.C. (AP) -- Emergency personnel in McDowell County say a 12-year-old boy has died and two others have been hospitalized after apparent carbon monoxide poisoning.

Sgt. Johnsie Parker of McDowell EMS said sheriff's deputies and emergency workers responded to a call from a home Friday afternoon.

Authorities said responders found the 12-year-old boy dead. They also found a 9-year-old boy and a 29-year-old man with life-threatening injuries. The patients were transported by a pair of medical helicopters Spartanburg Regional Hospital.

The names of the victims haven't been released.

Officials haven't determined a cause, but rescue workers found high levels of carbon monoxide in the home. An investigation is continuing.

Read or Share this story: http://www.wcnc.com/story/news/local/regional/2014/07/04/11095026/