LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

ALBEMARLE, N.C. -- It s a welcome knock on the door for many people who live off of Candlewood Drive. The Stanly County Fire Marshal s office is providing free smoke detector checks, after a neighbor s home went up in flames Friday morning.

We did not find any [smoke detectors] in the home or in the debris, said Stanly County Fire Marshal Michael Roark.

The four family members who lived in the home that caught fire were brought to a nearby hospital for treatment. They're expected to survive.

Rodney Morgan lives across the street from that fire.

After seeing a fire like that there, it makes you want to check over your stuff and make sure it s working properly, he explained.

However, two of Morgan s smoke detectors were not working, and with two small children, Morgan says he s glad to get the help from the fire marshal.

I was going to ask these fire department guys [if they] could they check these [detectors] here, Morgan says. I was going to ask them if I need to light a match and see if they d go off. I ve never checked them before.

The message is really hitting home for folks here in this neighborhood. The fire marshal s office has not had one family turn them away.

[We are] just trying to make sure that everybody has got the smoke detectors and that they are working, and that they continue to maintain those, said Roark.

Roark says he was able to check ten homes in the neighborhood. He replaced four smoke detectors that were not working.


Read or Share this story: http://www.wcnc.com/story/news/local/2014/06/25/10377312/