CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Police have dropped charges against a Charlotte man arrested in the shooting death of a 2-year-old boy in his stroller earlier this year after a witness changed his statement.
A murder charge was dropped Tuesday against 35-year-old Alvin Alexander.
Police said Amias Bernard Robinson was sitting in his stroller when he was shot Aug. 12 during an argument between two groups. The child was not the intended victim, police said. The boy died several days later.
Police said a man who identified Alexander as the shooter has changed his statement. A second witness identified 23-year-old Ellis Royster as the shooter.
CMPD's Violent Criminal Apprehension Unit arrested Royster at his home on Eastbrook Road late Tuesday night. He is charged with murder and is being held in jail without bond. It is Royster's fourth arrest in Mecklenburg County since 2004.