LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

GASTONIA, N.C. Three families are relocating after an attic fire in their apartment building Monday.

According to firefighters, the blaze started after maintenance workers started working on plumbing in the walls of one of the units -- accidently causing a fire.

The blaze happened at the Fern Forest Apartments, fire officials said heavy smoke was coming from the attic.

Twenty four firefighters were able to get the blaze under control in half an hour. No injuries were reported.

Read or Share this story: http://www.wcnc.com/story/news/local/2014/07/03/11051476/