LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

BEIJING Relatives of passengers on Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 are launching a crowd-funding campaign to raise a $3 million reward for a whistle-blower to expose key information about the investigation, the partner of a missing passenger told USA TODAY.

A $2 million fund for private investigators to follow up leads is also being raised.

Almost three months after the plane disappeared en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing, some relatives are frustrated by the failure of the official search to find concrete evidence and say they are convinced authorities are concealing the truth.

We are taking matters into our own hands, said Sarah Bajc, a U.S. citizen whose partner Philip Wood, 50, an IBM executive from Texas, was on the flight. There is no credible evidence the plane is in the southern Indian Ocean, where planes, boats and a mini-sub have searched in vain for weeks, she said.

I'm convinced that somebody is concealing something, said Bajc, 48, a business studies teacher in Beijing and former executive with Microsoft.

Called Reward MH370: The Search for the Truth, the campaign will launch Monday on the crowd-funding website Indiegogo, with minimum donations of $5. The relatives got permission from Indiegogo to raise money for a reward, which the firm has not previously permitted, Bajc said.

Of the $5 million sought, $3 million will be put up as reward for a whistle-blower to come forward, and $2 million will pay for private investigation services to follow up on leads, Bajc said.

The campaign will hire a professional company licensed to operate in multiple countries. Bajc expects its work to include securing court orders, such as to pull cellphone tower records from underneath the flight path.

The campaign is an initiative of family members from the USA, Australia, New Zealand, France and India, Bajc said, and does not involve relatives of passengers from China or Malaysia, whose citizens formed the majority of passengers on the flight.

Granted, $2 million in investigation services won't go very far, Bajc acknowledged. Clearly, they've already spent $100 million dollars and they've gotten nothing. But we're not going to approach it with boats in the ocean, we're going to approach it with human intelligence, she said.

Potential donors should understand there are no promises here, but we believe we need to try something, if we just sit back on our heels and allow the existing path to continue, I don't think this will ever be solved, she said.

The relatives hope they turn up a a whistle-blower who says, 'I know where to find this,' or a flight controller who can access new data, but expect they will also encounter some unethical people, Bajc said. I don't care. I just want to find the plane.

Malaysian officials have repeatedly insisted that the investigation has been fully transparent.

Australian transportation authorities, who are leading the official search, will hire a specialist company to begin a renewed underwater search in a revised search zone in August. A Chinese ship is conducting underwater mapping of the ocean floor to assist the later search. The U.S. Navy's mini-sub Bluefin-21 is no longer being used.

If there was any evidence that that plane was wrecked in the water, even a seat cushion, I would be taking a totally different approach, Bajc said. But there's been nothing. The relatives are inspired by the example of family members after the 2009 crash of an Air France plane, located after two years.

Air France was also declared unsolvable and un-findable. Family members got together and insisted the search be kept alive, she said.

Read or Share this story: http://www.wcnc.com/story/news/2014/07/21/11805018/