ASHEVILLE, N.C. -- The license for an Asheville abortion clinic has been suspended.
The Department of Health and Human Services took away FEMCARE, Inc. s license Wednesday, saying it found a number of egregious violations at the Asheville office.
DHHS says a routine visit revealed the clinic posed an imminent threat to the health and safety of patients.
DHHS said specifically, the office:
- Failed to maintain anesthesia (nitrous oxide gas) delivery systems in good working condition, with torn masks and tubing held together with tape.This could lead to patients not receiving the intended dosage and risk patients not being fully sedated during surgical procedures, leading to pain and physical harm.
- Failed to ensure emergency equipment had weekly checks to ensure the equipment was suitable for use in patient care and failed to ensure that emergency medicine wasn't expired.
- Failed to have a resuscitator available.
- Failed to sweep and mop the operating room floor and failed to properly clean operating room beds.
- Failed to have a director of nursing responsible and accountable for all nursing services.
- Failed to have an agreement/contract with an anesthetist or anesthesiologist.
- Failed to have an agreement/contract with a registered pharmacist to assure appropriate methods, procedures and controls for obtaining, dispensing, and administering drugs.
Inspectors last toured FEMCARE in 2007.