ROCK HILL, S.C. -- An early morning house fire killed a 58-year-old Rock Hill man.

Ronnie Joe Wylie died in the fire that swept through his home off of Neely Road. His family said Wylie was separated from his wife and two daughters and was living in the house alone.

Out on the lawn was a pile of burned debris, including a wood stove. Family members believe that stove was the possible cause of the fire.

I believe he got a little bit more wood in there than he needed and then fell off and went to sleep,' said Michael Wylie, the victim's younger brother.

Wylie's sister-in-law, Mary Gaston, recalled how the family had all just been together for Christmas.

He was looking good. We all said how good he looked. I just don't know, Gaston said, shaking her head.

Wylie was living on disability. Though he was separated from his wife and two daughters, they lived in the same neighborhood and tried to stay close.

Although I was his baby brother, he always took care of me. He was a good man, said Michael Wylie.

Fire investigators say they believe the fire was accidental. It could not be determined if the house had a smoke alarm.

Read or Share this story: