LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- A warning that pet owners need to hear, a common ingredient in pet shampoos could lead to a serious allergic reaction.

It's called d-limonene. It's a botanical extract that vets say can lead to a serious infection. A Long Island woman says it almost killed her 3-year-old Pomeranian Ginger.

Her x-rays show edema everywhere. She had so much blood in her lungs. We just weren't sure, and they said she may not make it, said Laura Hughes wiping away tears.

Experts say pet owners should test a patch of skin on their pet before applying any product containing d-limonene.

Ginger did make a full recovery.

Read or Share this story: http://www.wcnc.com/story/news/2014/06/30/10923726/