LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Three Charlotte-Mecklenburg police officers helped rescue an elderly couple from carbon monoxide exposure.

A nurse called 911 after finding the couple unconscious in their home Saturday morning on Cypress Creek Lane off Park Road.

CMPD Officers J.W. Hovis, G.R. Lineberger and R.M. Kierce responded and carried the couple to safety.

MEDIC transported the couple to the hospital. Police say the wife is in intensive care at Presbyterian Hospital and herhusband will be taken to Duke Medical Center for further treatment.

Investigators say the carbon monoxide poisoning came from a vehicle that was left running in the garage overnight.

The three officers went to the hospital for carbon monoxide exposure, but were released Saturday afternoon.

Read or Share this story: http://www.wcnc.com/story/news/local/2014/06/26/10493936/