BOONE, N.C. (AP) -- The owner's manual for the pool heater at a Boone motel where three people died from carbon monoxide poisoning this year warns detectors for the odorless gas should be put in when the heater is installed.

The Charlotte Observer ( obtained the owner's manual from the company that supplied the heated by using the device's model number.

The front page of the manual has a warning strongly recommending carbon monoxide detectors. Inside, there is another warning saying improperly installing the heater could cause death from carbon monoxide gas.

Authorities say the motel didn't get a permit before installing the used heater in 2011. A married couple died one night, and an 11-year-old boy died a month later in the room above the heater.

Police are still investigating the deaths.

Read or Share this story: